Honors and Awards
At the end of the academic year, outstanding anthropology majors are selected for awards in various categories.
- The Irwin Press Paper Award in Medical Anthropology: Given to students who have produced a quality paper outlining research in medical anthropology.
- The Father Patrick Gaffney Integrative Anthropology Paper Award: Given to a student who has written a paper that crosses traditional boundaries and draws from a range of different areas of scholarship in an effort to develop a fuller, even if sometimes messier, understanding of being and becoming human.
- James McKenna and Joanne Mack Promising Anthropology Major Award: Awarded to a first and second year student with outstanding early performance in the major.
- The Julian Samora Award: Awarded to the student who has demonstrated broad engagement with academic life.
- The Carolyn Nordstrom Professional Achievement Award: Awarded to the student with outstanding performance in academic publication, presentation at professional meetings, grants, and fellowships.
- Lambda Alpha Honors Society: Lambda Alpha is the national honors society for anthropologists. Notre Dame became the Beta Chapter of Indiana in 1981. Its purposes are to promote interest in the study of anthropology, to recognize outstanding student performance, and to encourage scholarship and research in anthropology. Membership and Fees
2022 Honors and Award Winners
- The Irwin Press Paper Award in Medical Anthropology: Juliana Couri, for her paper “Medicina de las Mujeres, sus Maridos y sus Miedos: A Qualitative Analysis of the Social Implications of Contraception among the Nahua Women”
- The Father Patrick Gaffney Integrative Anthropology Paper Award: Jackson Oxler, for his paper "The Biopolitics and Structural Violence of Housing: Tenants’ Rights in New York City"
- James McKenna and Joanne Mack Promising Anthropology Major Award: Madeleine Kohl and Molly McNamara
- The Julian Samora Award: Jessica Staggs
- The Carolyn Nordstrom Professional Achievement Award: Rachel Dinh
- Anthropology Honor Society of Lambda Alpha, Beta Chapter of Indiana: Banafo Abbeyquaye, Amanda Acevedo, Jon Christian Boekhout, Anna Bowman, Juliana Couri, Olivia Dopheide, Cameron Dowd, Elizabeth Hughes, Madeleine Jennisch, Veronica Kirgios, Madison McCafferty, Rose McKeon, Jackson Oxler, Katherine Relick, Gabriel Ramos, Cristina Ruiz, Jessica Staggs, Calla Sullivan, and NyakehTuchscherer